CNPA Active Members this morning (Tuesday, Jan. 28) voted approval of a bylaws amendment that, among other actions, potentially broadens and diversifies the CNPA Board of Directors.
The CNPA Board last fall approved a proposal to change the bylaws. With the member vote, the amendments will do the following:
- Allow Digital News Media members to participate fully in CNPA, including by allowing them to vote and serve on the Board of Directors;
- Create a new membership category for magazines;
- Eliminate mandated quotas for daily and weekly newspaper representation on the Board of Directors;
- Give board the discretion to make its number range from 17 to 30, in order to achieve demographic and thought diversity, with the exact number to be fixed annually by resolution of the board;
- Allow, but not require, the president to be elected to serve one additional one-year term;
- Replace the Nominating Committee with the Board Development Committee; and
- Make technical changes necessary to achieve the above objectives and to use non-gendered terminology.