Board approves CNPA Strategic Plan
After advance review and extensive discussion, the CNPA Board of Directors on Oct. 24 approved the California News Publishers Association 2019-20 Strategic Business Plan.
The plan, created by the Strategic Planning Committee, led by Chairman Ron Hasse, in coordination with key CNPA staff and an outside facilitator, will reinforce and reinvigorate the value of the association by evaluating both its present and its future.
“We looked at how the world is changing and asked the hard questions of whether or not the association was prepared for an uncertain future,” the plan’s purpose statement reads, in part.
To be better prepared for our future our association needs to:
• Strengthen the association’s primary function of lobbying and governmental affairs
• Position the association for membership diversification
• Increase membership engagement and promote the association’s value
• Prioritize diversity in demographic and thought in the CNPA board and staff
• Ascertain and evaluate staff’s organizational strength and succession planning
• Prepare for financial challenges with a 3-year forecast of CNPA’s business models
“Under the strategic planning committee chairman’s leadership and with the overwhelming approval of the board, I believe this plan and the strategy to implement it will well position the association to not only survive an uncertain future, but thrive, innovate and grow,” CNPA President Paulette Brown-Hind said.
In the 18-page plan, each point above includes a purpose statement and an action plan.
Next steps include evaluating committee task assignments to address recommended board of directors steps of action, and to assist the executive director and CNPA staff to turn the plan into an operational document to successfully accomplish its critical goals.