January includes important vote for members
CNPA Active Members will vote Jan. 28 on proposed amendments to the CNPA bylaws along with the annual election of CNPA officers and directors.
The CNPA Board of Directors at its Oct. 24 Quarterly Meeting approved a proposal to change the bylaws. As currently drafted, the amendments would do the following:
- Allow Digital News Media members to participate fully in CNPA, including by allowing them to vote and serve on the Board of Directors;
- Create a new membership category for magazines;
- Eliminate mandated quotas for daily and weekly newspaper representation on the Board of Directors;
- Give board the discretion to make its number range from 17 to 30, in order to achieve demographic and thought diversity, with the exact number to be fixed annually by resolution of the board;
- Allow, but not require, the president to be elected to serve one additional one-year term;
- Replace the Nominating Committee with the Board Development Committee; and
- Make technical changes necessary to achieve the above objectives and to use non-gendered terminology.
The bylaw changes will be presented to a digital and live vote by Active members of the association at the Annual Business Meeting on Jan. 28. Key contacts at Active Member companies received a detailed email on Monday, Dec. 23, regarding the proposal.