Website Sonoma West Publishers
Are you our next visionary journalism leader? We are seeking a community-minded journalist/manager to help cover, define and present the news to a dynamic and active readership in Sonoma County. Our new managing editor will lead a team of print and digital journalists into the brave new world of reader-powered journalism.
While we cherish our legacy (three of our newspapers are more than a century old) we are looking to the future, with ever-growing web and social media coverage. We recently added the Hearken reader engagement tool to our newsroom and our new managing editor will take a lead role in its successful implementation.
Our news team is small and spunky, and we cover topics as wide-ranging as city hall, natural resources, community festivals and crime. The position includes page layout and copy editing, plus regular news beat assignments covering schools, government and community activities.
Our new managing editor will contribute regularly to all four of our newspapers and websites and will feel comfortable recruiting and managing a diverse group of journalists with a wide range of experience.
The small communities we cover are energetic, engaged and diverse, and a journalist who works for us has the opportunity to refine and enhance their editing, layout, reporting and interviewing skills, while covering a variety of topics and styles – from hard news to feature articles.
In addition to content layout and presentation, our journalists have front page bylines every week, and our papers regularly win awards for our work. We adhere faithfully to the Society of Professional Journalists Code of Ethics.
This is a hands-on position that requires proven capabilities in leadership in diverse areas of news gathering, presentation, reporter and editor management, columnist support and community interaction. We place a strong emphasis on hiring and mentoring talented young journalists. We offer a competitive salary, health benefits and the opportunity to write the first draft of history.
- Produce news stories each week
- Pitch and develop ideas in cooperation with a small, dedicated news team
- Attend and cover city hall, community and school-related meetings and events
- Work with and coach reporters to improve editorial content prior to publication
- Provide exciting and engaging photography
- Develop a nuanced understanding of the villages of northern and western Sonoma County – from their leading political figures to their local organizations and news-making personalities – and help us break the news that matters most to our communities
- Work with a diverse group of columnists who write on topics large and small, weighty and light
- Take a leadership role in the flawless execution of numerous special sections; working as a writer, editor and coordinator on tight deadlines
- Previous editing and page layout experience (we use QuarkPress, but InDesign skills transfer well)
- Previous writing experience and strong written and verbal communication skills
- Photography skills
- Relentless attention to detail and copy-editing experience
- Excellent time management skills and accountability for weekly deadlines
- Expertise with the web and social media tools – help us maintain and expand our online presence
- Proven people management skills
- Patience, lots of patience
To apply, send us a resumé, cover letter, three published clips and three design/layout samples. Tell us about your leadership skills and convey your passion for community news. Find out about us at www.sonomawest.com. We look forward to hearing from you.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com